Where two next?

Antipodean travelogue through the eyes of two - one textile and one building lover. It'll be hard to differentiate the two!

Friday, June 22, 2007

Lost in Translation 2

I did a blog post about the language difficulties we have encountered in NZ a few weeks ago. If you click here it will bring you to the post.

I referred to a conversation I had with my neighbour after the All Blacks/ France match. Here's a recap of the conversation.


Cathal "Well it wasn't great viewing"

Neighbour "Why?, were you stuck behind a pole or something?"

What I didn't mention was my reply to the question.

Cathal "No, it was just a bit one sided"


A few days later our neighbour came down and was talking to Sharon and the game came up again.


Sharon "It wasn't great to look at"

Neighbour "Yes Cathal told me there was a pole to one side of you"


Sweet as bro!

Cathal

PS Perhaps something got lost in translation in my previous post also. I managed to get a comment from someone who didn't necessarily agree with my view point on the Taieri Gorge Railway even if the post was meant to be a little "tongue-in- cheek".

I would like to add that the railway is a magnificent feat of engineering and a symbol of the pertinacity of the human spirit.

However, I would also like to add that I was lucky enough to inter rail around Europe for a month one summer and I can honestly say that even the rail journeys where I slept in a couche for the entire trip, were far more interesting than the Taieri Gorge Railway.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home